I didn't think that should be the end and asked if I could take it away with me to work on it. The broken pieces were removed from the ugly jar and handed to me - a dubious look conveyed the unlikelihood that there was anything that could be done to improve things.
Several days passed...... I have been quite busy of late working on new ideas for my upcoming fairs and the bead pieces were left on the side, not forgotten but sidelined for now.
On Friday I cleaned the bead release from the channel with a diamond tipped reamer and put the 2 pieces, channel side down, in the kiln alongside some other work.The transformation had begun.
And here they are! The bright orange has mellowed somewhat and some of the dramatic edging pattern that was originally in the centre of the bead is now underneath.
Size 35mm x 45mm.
From ugly jar to a new life as 2 oval cabochons, I look forward to seeing what jewellery these become.