Tuesday 8 March 2011

100th International Womens Day

I did a Sales and Trading Development workshop last week aimed at helping creative women in business. It was superbly run by Yemisi and Marie of Hatch Events in conjunction with Urban Inclusion. This week was time to put into practice all that Dan Meier, our trainer, had taught us at the WOW Arts Fair in Spitalfields Market!

"The WOW Arts Fair is being held as part of the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day showcase the high quality designs and innovative products being produced by female designers in London."

I arrived at Spitalfields Market after having got through London morning traffic without too much delay but couldn't see anyone I knew. On site organisers noticed me hovering and when I said I was there for WOW Fair they called over Yemisi who greeted me warmly and showed me to my stall.

I set out my space, regretting the decision to leave my jacket in the car fairly early on and eventually asked my hubby to fetch it for me.
The day was a hive of activity with energetic entertainers, speakers and even a poet!


 As promised Baroness Oona King and Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal opened the event

Mel B made an appearance with Fitness First.

After Mel B left so did most of the press which freed up the space so people were able to move amongst the stalls better and more entertainment followed. Then they announced that Carroll Thompson was up next. At this news my husband shot out from behind the stall and proceeded to enthuse that Carroll Thompson was his most fave singer of all time! He sings the lyrics to 'I'm so sorry' on occasion, (he is always singing something or other) but I hadn't made the connection with the name, Phil obviously didn't need to hear it twice though!


Carroll was very gracious and came over to meet me as I couldn't leave my stall unattended. I asked if I could take a pic of her with her biggest fan to which she kindly agreed.


Phil was like a puppy dog with 2 tails (his words not mine) and although he originally came to assist me he was totally made up to have met Carroll unexpectedly.

In all it was a lovely day, the sun was shining but it was still very cold, sales were good and I have some commissions to work on! I learned loads!. The entertainment was fantastic and the whole event was very well organised.

I am so happy I agreed to take part. Thanks to one and all who made it such a super day! Even the trip home in rush hour traffic couldn't put a damper on it.

3 comments:

Carolee Crafts said...

Congratulations on your successful day Terry and your DH looks like the cat that got the cream.

Ali said...

Sounds like a great day, Terry. So pleased that you made good sales too.

Have to agree that your husband looks like the happiest man alive!

Unknown said...

Hello from your newest follower. and it looks like you had a fab day, well done :) x