Friday 31 December 2010

Last makes of 2010!

Time flies when you are having fun! I remember back to 1999 when the world was apparently going to grind to a halt at the millennium. The reality? How very underwhelming! Now we are racing forward at a crazy pace and 2000 seems a very long time ago.

Below are my last makes for the year, some of which will become the first pieces of jewellery for 2011. I etched the glass myself, except for the blue ones (you can tell!).

As you can see in the 'before firing' the lines look nice and clean but I now realise that the lines need to be a bit bolder to make sure the pattern is striking once fired. Almost like stage makeup that is too dramatic close up but on stage looks just great.
It was a lot of fun but very noisy so earplugs were required.

Although I need more practice I am excited, if not totally happy, with these first attempts. Etching offers loads of new design opportunities and I can infuse my work with much more originality. Special requests will be much more achievable as I won't be limited to patterns I can buy.

 2010 thus ends on a happy note with new ideas to explore in 2011!

Thank you all for sharing 2010 with me and I wish you all the very best for a safe, prosperous and fun filled 2011. xxx

Enough waffle, here are the pics............
Etched, cut and ready to fire, the ones at the top are bought etched glass.

Impatient as always waiting for the kiln to cool so I can see the results. The tricky bit is trying to photograph such sparkly glass. Apologies for the bright spots.








These are the machine etched ones

1 comment:

Lori Bergmann said...

These are all gorgeous! I especially love that long golden rectangle with the swirls. I would love to try my hand at fusing someday! *Ü*